March 8, 2010

LOVE AT FIRST BITE

I never really liked Kachoris till I bit into one of these Jhodpur's famous pyaz ki kachoris along with those culinary bombs called mirchi vadas washed down with a HUGE (believe me when I say huge) glass of sweet lassi. They were hot, spicy and out of the world. Later on someone directed me to a shop in Dehradun's Ballipur chowk where they made these pyaz ki kachoris (almost close to the pyaz kachoris of Jhodpur) every sunday and thus began my weekly trysts with pyaz ki kachoris. After moving out from Dehradun I have yet to find a shop which sells these kachoris so I tried and tested and failed several times and have now come up with something close to those Jhodpur kachoris.
 
WE NEED 
For the Kachori dough
  1. Maida/refined flour 2 cups
  2. 1/2 tsp salt
  3. 4 tbs ghee/oil
  4. 1/2 cup water
For the Kachori filling
  1. 3 large onions (chopped)
  2. 5 green chillies (chopped) You can reduce or increase the number of chillies acording to the degree of spiciness you prefer.
  3. 1 tsp Kalonji/Kalo jeera/nigella seeds
  4. 1 tsp sauf/fennel seeds
  5. 2 bay leaves/ tej patta
  6. 2 tbs dhania powder
  7. 1 tbs garam masala
  8. 1 pinch Hing/asafoetida
  9. Salt to taste
  10. 2 tbs besan powder/ gramflour
  11. 1 tbs oil
Oil for frying kachoris

LETS GET GOING
  1. Mix the maida, salt and ghee till the mixture resembles breadcrumbs
  2. Add water and make a dough.
  3. Cover and keep. 
  4. In a pan heat 1 tbs oil, add the bay leaves, hing, kalonji and sauf.
  5. When the sauf becomes brown add the chopped oinions and fry till the onions turn pink.
  6. Add the chopped green chillies, besan, dhania powder, garam masala and salt. mix well and cook for 5 minutes on a low flame. 
  7. Divide the dough into balls (depending on what size you want your kachoris. I make mine into tweleve lemon sized balls). 
  8. Stuff the dough with the onion filling and shape into kachoris.
  9. Deep fry on a low flame till golden brown.
  10. Serve hot with sweet tamarind chutney, pudina chutney or tomato ketchup.
 
 

3 comments:

quintaqua said...

looks yum! feel like trying it out right away!

My Princess Diary said...

ummmmmmmm...yummy....i think i need to work as a apprentice with u for some time

Periwinkle said...

I knew it ...I knew it you would zero in on the fried stuff ..my dear appi :)