March 15, 2010

JHAT PAT MITHAI

No I wont call them Shahi tukda/toast, I prefer calling them jhat pat mithais coz my version is really jhat pat ( put together in a hurry) and I prefer the soggier version. I first had the soggy pineapple flavoured version in Andhra Bhawan, Delhi, fell in love with it and turned my back from the Shahi version forever.
 Ever since I have moved to the North East I have this eternal craving for sweets (fueled by the fact that there are no decent sweet shops around, the only ones found here serve sweets that qualify as sweets just because they contain sugar!!). This comes really handy when I suffer from these sudden "sugar fits".
WE NEED
  1. Bread 1 medium sized loaf  (I prefer the thicker sliced handmade variety. Dont get me wrong I am not alluding to the fancy handmade breads in fancy shops with fancier prices...But the rotiwal ko pauroti)
  2. Sugar 500 grams
  3. Water 500 ml
  4. Oil for frying
  5. For flavouring one can use powdered cardamom or powdered cinnamom (1 tsp )  or pineapple essence(2 drops)    (Do not mix the flavours it meses up the whole thing)
LETS GET GOING 
  1. Prepare the sugar syrup by boiling the water with sugar on a low flame till it attains 1 string consistency. Add the flavour of your choice and keep aside.
  2. Cut the bread slices into halves or triangles and deep fry them till brwon and crisp.
  3. If you want the crisp version then dip in the sugar syrup and immedeatly drain. 
  4. If you want the soggy version arrange the fried bread slices in a serving dish and pour the syrup over it. 

No comments: