July 3, 2008

GREEN APPLE CHUTNEY



I generally don't eat apples. Not that I don't like them but the only thing that's nutritious in an apple is its skin (The red carotenoids are anti carcinogenic) but I bet its skin contains more pesticide residues than carotenoids. Anyway last week I somehow got tempted by some really fresh looking green apples (this time round the temptation was not in Eden but in the vegetable market). I paid an astronomical price them but they turned out to be too tart. I couldn't bear to throw them nor does my Spartan kitchen allow processing them to jam or baking them so I came up with an apple chutney much in the lines of the ubiquitous tomato chaatney of Bengal.


INGREDIENTS

4 Green apples (Even plain apples will do) grated
1 cup Sugar/Jaggery (grated)
1 dry red chilly
2 bay leaves
2" stick of cinnamon (Dalchini)
2 large cardamons (grind seeds to a coarse powder)
1/2 tsp sauf/Fennel
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp chilly flakes
1/2 cup water
1 tsp salt
1 tsp oil
LETS DO IT
1. Heat oil in a kadai
2. Add the bay leaves, cinnamon and dry chilli.
3. Sputter the mustard and fennel seeds.
4. Add the grated apple and salt. Cook on low flame for 10 minutes
5. Add the sugar/jaggery and chilly flakes. Continue cooking on a low flame stirring constantly till the chutney acquires a thick consistency.
6. Add the cardamon powder and mix well.
The chutney once cooled can be stored in a clean dry bottle.



No comments: